Friday, January 09, 2009

Road to Financial Fitness

I'm currently obsessed with becoming financially fit. The last 2 months we've been living on Gail-Vaz Oxlade's money jars, I have a budget for the next year that is tight but works and we're on track to pay off our debt in 15 months or less (we are both getting back pay thanks to ratifying new agreements, just don't know when or how much).

I trimmed our expenses in any way that I can - switching insurance companies, cancelling the tv we never watch, making a menu plan and shopping only with a list, never eating out, no coffee (that would be for the man, that stuff is vile).

We finally have a joint account and all our bills come out automatically. The girl's have RESPs. And we have started an emergency fund with its first $100. I know, not much, but it's a start. I have savings accounts for car maintenence (planning to fix the cars before they break-down! What a concept!) and for diapers.

This has taken time to figure out because I've never bothered before. It feels so good to be in control of our finances.

My next goal is to get disability insurance and possibly critical illness. I'm in the middle of researching it and it is confusing to figure out what is best. By the end of this month I want it set up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home