Sunday, March 01, 2009

February Review

Ho-kay, here we go.

I didn't meet all my goals. In fact, only 1/4 of them. It all comes back to me being a bit lazy.

Goal #1 Get Private Disability Insurance

I'm happy with my work policy, so I'm sticking with that. I'm waiting for my husband to get back to me with info if he has one at work and if so how much is he paying for it before I make him get a quote. This is really my goal for him.

Goal #2 Get Life Insurance

The paperwork has been filled out and sent. Just waiting for a call that should come in the next couple of days to finalize it. We went through a group policy with my alumni association. I was rather annoyed at my husband (although I was nice with him) that he has had a couple of smokes in the last year. Grrr. If you're a non-smoker why do you need to have a smoke with a co-worker? Thanks for doubling your premium buddy.

Goal #3 Open up a TFSA

Still a goal. Really should have done this, but I'm still hoping to find my missing cheques so I can go with ING rather than my own bank.

Goal #4 Get credit reports

Not done.

We had a bit of a setback this month with the overpayment at my work. This cuts into the debt repayment and thus lengthens the time we need to save for baby number three. I'm a bit sad that I won't be able to take my last mat leave with Peyton. I had 2 mat leaves with Ava and it was wonderful for her and I. Peyton will most likely be in JK by the time we have a third.

I am still living off of the budget set from last summer when the gas prices were twice as high. Every week I manage to save about $55 from it to put into our fun account (for things like our 10th wedding anniversary in May, trips to Michigan and Ottawa this summer).

I'm getting used to using the credit/debit cards, but I hate figuring it all out each week. I do enjoy the points we are racking up to use for movies. Harry Potter here we come!

Overall -still happy with how we are doing. We're always within budget, usually way under. I've embraced coupon clipping and am mastering the art of combining them with sales (I got two freebies this week - shaving cream and Mr Clean all purpose spray!). Bills are paid in full, on time.

Goals for next month:

#1 - Open a TFSA

#2 - Get my papers to mom for her to file our taxes

#3 - Get credit reports

#4 - Fix Peyton's birth certificate (they spelled her name incorrectly) and apply for passports (I'll consider this a financial goal because it costs $$$)

#5 - Tweak budget to put $25/month in RRSP. I have a great pension but who's to say it won't bomb before or during my retirement? Plus I won't have a medical plan in retirement. I can afford $25 right now while focusing on debt repayment and will increase it as we can.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great time to buy RRSPs. With the economy in the tank, stocks and mutual funds are cheap. So your $25 might buy as many shares as if you were investing twice that in a better times.

March 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home